Information and Resources on COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Information and Resources on COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

The Congresswoman sends out a weekly newsletter with the latest updates on COVID-19. Sign up here for the English version, and here for the Spanish version.

Cada semana, distribuimos un boletín electrónico sobre COVID-19. Puede inscribirse AQUÍ para recibirlo en español.



Prevention, including information on facemasks and accommodations for essential workers


What to Do if You or Your Loved One Have COVID-19


Pediatric Multi Inflammatory System




What Congress is Doing

      FAQ: Stimulus Checks

      FAQ: Unemployment Insurance

      Information and Resources for Immigrant Communities

      Small Business Resources: PPP and EIDL


Voting Absentee for the June 23rd Elections


Other Economic Relief Programs


Workplace Rights, including information about how to file safety complaints


Mental Health Care


If You Lost a Loved One to COVID-19


Delays with Postal Delivery


Resources for Seniors


Schools & Remote Learning


How You Can Help


Reporting Hate Crimes


Travel Warnings


Resources in Other Languages


Additional Information




Assitencia para La Comunidad Inmigrante


Preguntas Frecuentes: Asistencia de Dinero en Efectivo


Preguntas Frecuentes: Asistencia de Desempleo Pandémico


Alivio para Pequeños Negocios


Recursos si ha Perdido a un ser Querido por COVID-19


Preguntas Frecuentes: Propietarixs únicxs, Trabajadorxes Temporales y Contratistas Independientes




Demoras con el Servicio Postal


Derechos en el Trabajo


Como Usar una Måscara Adecuadamente


La Orden Ejecutiva del Presidente Sobre Inmigración


Preguntas Frecuentes sobre “Obtener Mi Pago”


Necesito Regresar mi Cheque de Alivo?


Votando por Papeleta de Voto en Ausencia para la Elección del 23 de Junio


Síndrome Inflamatorio Multisistémico Pediátrico


¿Por qué mi cheque de impacto económico es menos de lo esperado?


Preguntas Frequentes sobre la Planificación Financiera Después de Haber Perdido su Trabajo



It is critical that all NY-14 take prevention efforts seriously.  Currently, the Governor has ordered that 100% of the New York City workforce must stay home, excluding essential services. All non-essential gatherings of individuals of any size for any reason are temporarily banned.

Constituents should also….

      Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.

      Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

      Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.

      Wash your hands often and vigorously with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.

      If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.

If  you cannot stay home or socially-distance because you are an essential worker, or for other reasons, and you are concerned about putting your household at risk for COVID-19, you may be eligible for New York City’s Hotel Program. To determine if you are eligible and make a reservation go to

All New Yorkers are also officially required to wear a face-covering in public and when they cannot maintain 6ft distance from others. You must also wear face coverings on public transport and while taking private transport or riding in for-hire vehicles.  The City is distributing face masks at certain locations for a limited time. You can find a list of distribution sites here.

Please wear your facemask appropriately. Cloth face coverings should—

     fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face

     be secured with ties or ear loops

     include multiple layers of fabric

     allow for breathing without restriction

     cover your nose and chin

Face masks should be washed after each use. A washing machine should suffice in properly washing a face covering.

Individuals should be careful not to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth when removing their face covering and wash hands immediately after removing.

Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.

 See here for more information on face coverings, including how to make a homemade mask.



Do not call 911 or go to the ER unless it is a medical emergency. Our emergency responders and hospitals are already strained. If your symptoms are mild or you’re asymptomatic, start by calling your healthcare provider. If you do not have a healthcare provider,  call 311 or 1-844-NYC-4NYC. You will be connected with a health care provider regardless of immigration status, insurance status, or ability to pay.

Do not go to a health care center without first calling. If you suspect you may have COVID-19, you should also not arrive at any health care center without first calling ahead. When you ultimately do go, put on a facemask before you enter the healthcare facility. These steps will help the healthcare provider’s office to keep other people in the office or waiting room from getting infected or exposed.

My apartment is overcrowded and self-quarantining is very difficult. What should I do? The City of New York's COVID-19 Hotel Program provides select individuals and groups (e.g., healthcare workers) a place to stay to reduce the spread of COVID-19. To determine if you are eligible and make a reservation go to

Need a healthcare provider? Call 844-692-4692 or 311, regardless of immigration status, insurance status or, ability to pay.

Fill out NYC COVID-19 Engagement Portal: This City website is intended for individuals, or those authorized to report on behalf of individuals, who have recently met any of the following criteria:

      Experienced symptoms of COVID-19

      Tested positive for COVID-19

      Have come into contact with someone who may have COVID-19

      Currently in quarantine

This website is designed to provide you with information about COVID-19 and help the City track the status of infections across the City. You can enter your information here.



PMIS is a new health condition appearing in children in New York City (NYC) and elsewhere - related to COVID-19. PMIS is a rare condition. However, because it is life-threatening, it is important that parents know the signs and symptoms, so they can get help right away.

Most children have fever (temperature of 100.4 degrees F or 38.0 degrees C or greater) lasting several days, along with other symptoms.

Common symptoms include:

      Irritability or sluggishness •

      Abdominal pain without another explanation




      Conjunctivitis, or red or pink eyes

You should call your doctor immediately if your child becomes ill and tell them about any signs or symptoms your child has. Your doctor will use that information to recommend next steps. If your child is severely ill, you should go to the nearest emergency room or call 911 immediately.

PMIS is not contagious. However, taking steps to prevent your child from being exposed to COVID-19 is important. Face coverings, hand hygiene, and physical distancing are the best way to prevent COVID-19.



There are two types of testing you’ve likely heard about - testing for COVID-19 and anti-body tests.


COVID-19 tests: The City and State have dramatically expanded access to COVID-19 tests. You should now seek testing for COVID-19 if any of the following applies to you:

-- You have COVID-19 symptoms (cough, fever, shortness of breath, loss of appetite or smell), regardless of age, chronic conditions, or occupation

-- You have come in close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 patient, regardless of symptoms

-- You work in a congregate residential setting (nursing home, shelter, or adult care facility), regardless of symptoms

You no longer need an appointment to be tested at many sites. Find a City testing site near you and more information here. You can also visit the State’s website.


Antibody testing:  These tests can help determine if you had COVID-19 previously. Some people who have contracted the virus have had no or few symptoms. Please note, these tests do not determine if you are ‘immune’ to the virus. There are reports that some people who have tested positive for antibodies have later contracted the virus, again.

These anti-body tests are now available in the Bronx and Queens by appointment. The testing is limited - 1,000 people/ day. You are encouraged to sign up online here. If you can't sign up online, you may call 888-279-0967.  Across New York City, the testing sites are:

      Brooklyn: 127 Pennsylvania Avenue

      Bronx: 4006 Third Avenue, Bathgate

      Manhattan: 21 Old Broadway

      Queens: 34-09 Queens Boulevard

      Staten Island: St. John’s Villa, 57 Cleveland Place




So far, the House has passed five bills to address the public health and economic consequences of COVID-19.  Four bills have been signed into law by the President. The fifth bill - the HEROES Act - is currently awaiting a vote by the Senate.

The first bill, Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2020, was an 8.3 billion dollar emergency response package for federal agencies, mostly to fund treatment, testing, and research. The Congresswoman voted for this bill.

The second bill, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, which made testing free and created a limited paid sick and family leave program. If you work for a private company with fewer than 500 people, then your employer should provide you with paid sick or family leave if you have to miss work due to COVID-19, starting April 1. More information is available here.

The Families First Coronavirus Response Act also allocated $1 billion to addressing food insecurity for seniors, children, low-income families, and provided state funding for Medicaid and  unemployment benefits.  If you are already using these benefits, you should see this increase in funding right away.  If you have recently lost your job, you may now qualify for Medicaid and nutrition assistance through WIC and SNAP. For more information on Medicaid, see here, for more information on food assistance see here.  The Congresswoman voted for this bill.

The third bill - the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act or CARES Act - provides cash relief for those individuals who reported earning $99,000 or less on their last tax filing. For more information see here.

The CARES Act also creates a new pandemic unemployment insurance program. Americans laid off due to COVID-19 can now receive up to $600/week through July 31, on top of New York’s regular unemployment payment. For more information see here.

CARES also creates additional resources to keep small businesses afloat, including disaster loans available through the Small Business Administration. For more information go here.

The Congresswoman voted against the CARES Act because it provided a $4 trillion bail-out to corporations with little oversight.  Many immigrants are also excluded from the stimulus checks - including mixed-status families. For example, if you are a U.S. citizen and you file your taxes jointly with a partner who does not have an SSN,  you are not eligible for cash assistance nor is your child, regardless of your child’s documentation status. Additionally, though the PPP program was set up to assist small businesses, it is not operating that way. At least 90% of businesses owned by people of color have been or will likely be shut out of the PPP. About 70% of Latinx-owned businesses that filled out a questionnaire from the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce reported that they had finished their application but had not received any funding. (cite)

The fourth bill - the ‘Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act - sent $60 billion to the Small Business Administration’s disaster loan program, $75 billion to hospitals, $25 billion to COVID-19 testing, and $310 billion to the Paycheck Protection Program - a Small Business Administration (SBA) program that provides forgivable loans to small businesses suffering due to COVID-19. For more information on PPP, go here.

The Congresswoman voted against this bill because it did not do enough to ensure that small businesses would actually benefit from the PPP program, and because it did nothing to address many other urgent priorities facing hard hit communities - including hazard pay, burial assistance or relief for immigrants.

The fifth bill - the HEROES Act - is a $3 trillion dollar legislative package designed to provide financial relief to communities and families.  Though imperfect, I voted for the Congresswoman voted for this bill because it finally included some of the key provisions she’s been calling for since this crisis began.

Namely,  the Act includes $175 billion in renting and housing assistance, funds to reduce incarceration, and much needed financial relief for many in the immigrant community. Additionally, and perhaps most critically, the bill provides state and local funding to New York. Our emergency responders in New York are at a breaking point. The City and the State is considering cuts to schools, healthcare and other essential services because they are simply out of money. We have no choice - to stave off further, long-lasting harm, we must bring home this local funding. This bill now heads to the Senate.



The IRS maintains the most up to date FAQ regarding stimulus checks (aka Economic Impact Payments), including how to get a status update on its delivery and what to do if your stimulus check is less than expected or if you believe you’ve received a stimulus check in error. You can access it here.

If the FAQ does not answer your question, the IRS created a special phone line for taxpayers with questions about their stimulus checks: 800-919-9835.




The state maintains the most up to date FAQ on unemployment insurance, including what to do if you have filed your claim and not received a phone call from the state within 72 hours. You can see it here.




The CARES Act only provided stimulus checks to U.S. adults with Social Security Numbers (SSN) are eligible for cash assistance.  This includes green card holders, H-1B visa recipients, and DACA recipients.


Unfortunately, this leaves out a great many in our immigrant community. For example, if you are a U.S. citizen and you file your taxes jointly with a partner who does not have an SSN,  you are not eligible for cash assistance nor is your child, regardless of your child’s documentation status.


On May 15, Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez voted in support of the HEROES Act which would make stimulus checks available to all U.S. adults with Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITINs). The bill is now awaiting a vote in the Senate.


Here are some other city, state, and federal resources for which the undocumented community qualifies:


Unemployment Insurance: If you have valid work authorization and are unemployed or underemployed that is related to COVID-19, you are eligible for Unemployment Insurance or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance​. This includes DACA/TPS recipients. Unfortunately, undocumented immigrants are not eligible for UI under State law. Additional information can be found here.


Testing: The Families First Coronavirus Response Act made coronavirus tests free, including for the uninsured/undocumented. In New York, there are limited tests available. To see if you can schedule a test, call the state hotline at 1-888-364-3065.  Do not show up to an ER or a drive-thru testing site without an appointment.


Health Care: The City will provide medical care no matter what your immigration status is and whether you can pay for it or not. Seeking or using healthcare services related to COVID-19 will NOT impact your ability to apply for a green card or citizenship. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has stated that medical care related to COVID-19 – including preventive care, testing, and treatment – will not be held against you in a “public charge” test. The Federal Government has also issued a directive temporarily stopping immigration enforcement at or near health care facilities, including hospitals, clinics, urgent care, and doctors’ offices.


Healthcare workers should also not ask you about your immigration status. However, if they do, you can refuse to provide this information and you can tell them you have a right to be treated.


Everyone has a right to an interpreter at no-cost when seeking medical care. You may request language interpretation directly from the healthcare staff.


If you need help finding a doctor or getting medical care, call 311.


You can get help accessing health insurance. Help is available regardless of immigration status and in many languages. Visit NYC's Office of Health Insurance Services or call 311. You can also text CoveredNYC to 877-877 to communicate in English. Text SeguroNYC to 877-877 to communicate in Spanish.


Mental Health: COVID-19 is stressful for all of us. Make sure you’re taking care of yourself mentally and physically. If you’re anxious, stressed, or depressed about what is happening and find it difficult to function well, help is available from NYC Well. Call 1-888-NYC-WELL to speak to trained counselors for FREE. You can also text “WELL” to 61573 or chat online at


Reporting Bias Incidents and Hate Crimes: If you have been harassed or discriminated against due to race, national origin, age, or disability, contact the New York City Commission on Human Rights by calling 311 or filing a complaint online. Call 911 if you are a victim of or witness a hate crime.


Working Conditions:  Under federal law, all workers - even those who are undocumented - have a right to a healthy and safe workplace; a right to information; a right to training by the employer about how to safely perform the work; and a right to report unsafe working conditions. Finally, federal law protects workers against retaliation for asserting their rights. If you feel your workplace is putting you at risk for contracting COVID-19 or otherwise violating labor laws, you can call the New York State Attorney General’s Office at (212) 416-8700 or


Nutrition Assistance:  The Families First Coronavirus Response Act also allocated $1 billion to addressing food insecurity via SNAP, WIC, and food banks. To find food assistance near you, call the USDA National Hunger Hotline 1-866-3-HUNGRY/1- 877-8-HAMBRE.  Undocumented immigrants are also eligible for WIC - a program for pregnant women, children under 5 and their mothers. You can call 311 and ask for WIC assistance or call  844-540-3031.


Legal Assistance: Immigrants and refugees can continue to access free legal assistance and other services through ONA’s statewide network of providers, even remotely. Call the confidential, multilingual NYS New Americans Hotline at 1-800-566-7636 to be connected to a provider. Immigration legal services hotline - can speak directly with an immigration lawyer if needed 1-800-354-0365 Action NYC phone number


English Language Classes: In response to COVID-19, the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs’ We Speak NYC program, a free English language learning program that provides civic-focused instruction through videos centered on topics relevant to immigrant New Yorkers, will be offering online conversation classes.  Register Here to sign up for a class, get reminders, and educational materials, or click here to check out different class times and drop in!


Also of note for the immigrant community: in response to COVID-19, President Trump signed an executive order stopping the entry of people seeking to immigrate permanently.  The restriction applies only to people who were outside the United States as of 11:59 PM on April 23, and don’t yet have a valid immigrant visa.


There are some exceptions. This executive order does not apply to :


      Physicians, nurses, and healthcare workers and their spouses and children

      EB-5 immigrants

      Spouses and children of US Citizens

      Prospective adoptees

      Individuals who would further law enforcement objectives

      Members of the Armed Forces and their spouses and children

      Iraqi/Afghani Special Immigrants and their spouses and children

      Individuals whose entry is deemed ‘in the national interest’


The executive order will be in place for 60 days with room for extension. Immigrants may still seek protection through asylum, withholding from removal due to a chance of being persecuted back in their home country, or under the Convention Against Torture.



Additional Information for Immigrants:

The City put together a resource guide specifically for immigrant communities during the COVID-19 pandemic, including information on financial assistance.


New Yorkers who have concerns or questions about public benefits and immigration can also call the ActionNYC hotline at 1-800-354-0365, or 311 and say ‘ActionNYC,’ Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm for free, safe immigration legal help.


For more information and to what other state programs you may be eligible for, please go to the state’s webpage on Coronavirus here.  You can also send the state a question online here.  Or call the state’s 24-Hour Coronavirus hotline: 1-888-364-3065.


To see which city programs you may be eligible for, please call 311 or go to the City’s Coronavirus webpage here.



The recently-passed CARES Act tasks the Small Business Administration with distributing financial relief to small businesses through two major programs: the Paycheck Protection Program and EIDL Grants.  Due to overwhelming demand, the SBA will now only be accepting applications for EIDL from agricultural enterprises. If you’d applied for EIDL prior to May 4, your application may still be approved. All small businesses may still apply for the Paycheck Protection Program.


The Paycheck Protection Program is a new, first-come-first-serve program for small businesses aimed at helping them maintain their employees. The maximum size of the loan is up to two months of your average monthly payroll costs from the last year plus an additional 25% of that amount, capped at $10 million. The loan can be used for employee compensation; vacation, parental, family, medical, or sick leave; providing group health care benefits; payment of retirement benefits; payroll taxes; and payment of interest on mortgage obligations, rent, utilities, and interest on pre-existing debt obligations.  If employers maintain payroll, the loans will be forgiven. You should only apply through an SBA certified lender. Find eligible lenders and learn more here.


Sole proprietors, gig workers and independent contractors are eligible for PPP.  PPP can be used to cover your salary. However, self-employed individuals, independent contractors, or sole proprietorship payroll costs are capped at $100,000 in 1 year.  To be eligible for PPP, self-employed individuals, independent contractors, or sole proprietors must provide information about “payroll costs,” including payroll tax filings reported to the IRS, Forms 1099–MISC, and income and expenses from the sole proprietorship.


You can get assistance applying for this relief through SBA’s local Resource Partners, who provide advice and training to help small businesses. Small Business Development Centers, Women’s Business Centers, and Minority Business Development Centers near you can be found here. 


Additional information about the SBA relief programs are available here.


City and State Resources for Small Businesses:

The City’s Business Solutions Center experts are also available to help small businesses identify additional financing available, including local philanthropic financing if you are a nonprofit.


New York City Comptroller Scott M. Stringer is also providing online workshops on available resources, services, and business opportunities for small businesses and minority and women-owned business enterprises (M/WBEs) impacted by COVID-19. You can sign up here.


Facebook has launched a $6.5 million grant program for NYC small businesses. Our small businesses deserve this help. You can apply at


The Department of Small Business Services operates the Commercial Lease Assistance Program, which can help review leases to determine what a business’s rights and obligations are, negotiates payment plan for arrears, etc.


The City Bar recently launched a new Small Business Remote Legal Clinic via the City Justice Center’s Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project (NELP) to assist small businesses impacted by COVID-19 as it relates to navigating insurance-related claims, contracts, leases, and accessing State and Federal programming. Click here for more information.




Due to COVID-19, every New Yorker will receive an absentee ballot application in the mail for the June 23rd election. However, you do not need to wait. You can request one online here. You must do so no later than June 16.


If you prefer to fill out the application you received in the mail, you should check “temporary illness or physical disability” as the reason you are requesting an absentee ballot.  Once your application is complete, you can mail  it to your County Board of Elections. In Queens, that address is ‘Queens County Board of Elections, 118-35 Queens Boulevard, Forest Hills, NY 11375.’ In the Bronx, that address is’ the ‘Bronx County Board of Elections, 1780 Grand Concourse-5th Floor, Bronx, NY 10457.’  You must send in your absentee ballot application no later than June 16.


Once the County Board of Elections has received your application and approved it, they will send you your actual absentee ballot.


You must complete and mail your absentee ballot by Election Day - June 23rd.


If you have not yet registered to vote, you may do so by May 29. You can do so online here.





Under federal law, all workers - even those who are undocumented - have a right to a healthy and safe workplace; a right to information; a right to training by the employer about how to safely perform the work; and a right to report unsafe working conditions. Finally, federal law protects workers against retaliation for asserting their rights. If you feel your workplace is putting you at risk for contracting COVID-19 or otherwise violating labor laws, you can call the New York State Attorney General’s Office at (212) 416-8700 or


You can also file a complaint through the Governor’s office. You may file a complaint about any of the following reasons:


       You are being forced to work at a non-essential business. You can see if your workplace is essential here

       You know about a business that is non-essential and is operating

       You are being forced to work for an essential business, however:

       You do not perform an essential function

       Your employer is making you report to a worksite when your job could be performed from home

       Your employer is not following health and safety mandates

       You are particularly frightened because you are over 70 and/or you have an underlying illness

       Your employer has failed to pay you wages owed for hours worked, earned sick pay or paid time off

       Your employer has threatened or fired you for reasons related to COVID-19

       You qualify for COVID-19 paid sick leave and your employer refuses to pay it

       Your employer is forcing you to work when you are sick




Help Finding a Job: Call the Workforce Career Center at 718-960-2458 to prepare for, and connect to jobs across New York City's five boroughs and in every sector of the economy. You can also apply online here. Current employment opportunities include TLC drivers, Stop & Shop, Fresh Direct & PBM Guardian Industry Services.


Financial Planning After a Job Loss: The IRS has created this FAQ to answer your questions about tax planning and withdrawing from a pension/ retirement account after a job loss.


Eviction and Mortgage Moratorium: There is a temporary moratorium on evictions in New York City. Even if you cannot pay rent, you cannot be removed from your home. For those tenants struggling to pay rent during coronavirus, call 311. The City launched a five-borough hotline through 311 to help educate tenants about their rights and sources of rent relief.


Paid Sick and Family Leave:  Under New York City law, all private-sector workplaces with 5 or more employees must provide up to 40 hours of paid sick leave per calendar year. All full-time and part-time workers are covered. Immigration status is irrelevant. If you are not receiving paid sick leave from your employer, call 311 or go here.


Childcare: If you are a restaurant, food, takeout and delivery worker, or residential and commercial building staff in New York City, you may now be eligible for childcare from the City through their Regional Enrichment Centers.


New York State will also provide child care scholarships to essential workers. Child care costs will be covered for essential staff whose income is less than 300% of the federal poverty level — or $78,600 for a family of four. Essential workers (including health care providers, law enforcement, food delivery workers, grocery store employees, and others) can use these scholarships to pay for their existing care arrangements. If an essential worker needs child care, they can contact their local child care referral agency to find openings.


Health Insurance: New Yorkers who are without health insurance should apply now through the state’s health insurance exchange. If you lost employer coverage, you must apply within 60 days of losing that coverage. Because of a loss of income, New Yorkers may also be eligible for Medicaid, the Essential Plan, or Child Health Plus.


The Governor also announced that, through June 1, 2020, consumers and businesses experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 may defer paying premiums under individual and small group health insurance policies. During this period, health plans will be required to continue to pay claims and to work with individuals to help them transition to new coverage, if appropriate.


To find a health care provider, call 844-692-4692 or 311, regardless of immigration status, insurance status, or ability to pay.


Medicaid: In New York City, all active cases will be extended. No Medicaid case will be closed for failure to renew or failure to provide documentation. Any case that is closed for failure to renew or failure to provide documentation that had Medicaid coverage on or after March 18, 2020 will be reopened with coverage restored to ensure no gap in coverage. Renewals will be extended for 12 months.


Former SSI recipients and any discontinued Temporary Assistance/Medicaid cases that require a separate Medicaid eligibility determination will have Medicaid coverage extended. No renewal is required to be sent at this time and no redeterminations are required at this time.


During the COVID-19 Emergency, New York City residents who are age 65 or over; living with a disability or blindness; in receipt of Medicare and are not a parent or caretaker relative of minor children, or are young adults under age 26 who were formerly in foster care can submit a Medicaid application via fax to 917-639-0732.


All other applicants not in the categories listed above may submit an application via the NY State of Health at or by calling 1-855-355-5777.


Utility Payments: The Governor directed the New York State Department of Public Service to suspend public utilities from cutting off service - including power and heat - to customers affected by COVID-19.  For more information, please call the state’s  24-Hour Coronavirus hotline: 1-888-364-3065.


Debt Collection:   Governor Cuomo and Attorney General James temporarily suspended state debt collection in response to coronavirus. The state will temporarily halt the collection of medical and student debt owed to the State of New York and referred to the Office of the Attorney General for collection, for at least a 30-day period. For more information, go here.


New York City Financial Empowerment Center counselors are also available to support those experiencing financial challenges. Book an appointment at


Student Loans:  New York student loan borrowers should visit the Department of Financial Services' website for more information about available student loan relief. Available relief includes 90 days of deferred monthly payments, waived late fees, no negative reporting to credit agencies and enrolling eligible borrowers in available long-term assistance programs.


Freelancers: If you're facing nonpayment issues, file a complaint here


Tax Payment:  The Internal Revenue Service has extended its payment period for 90 days. You now have until July 15, 2020, to pay federal, state and city taxes.  The City will also postpone its annual tax lien sale until August, in consideration for property owners who may be coping with the COVID-19 outbreak


Price Gouging: You can report concerns about price gouging of 10 percent or more to the state here or the City here or by calling 311. You can also report price gouging to the state at 800-697-1220. Make sure you keep your receipts if you’ve been the victim of price gouging.


Food/Grocery Assistance:  Free meals are now available to anyone in New York. The city has 435 sites spread out around the five boroughs where people can get breakfast, lunch, and dinner all to go, free of charge. Children and families with children can pick up food between 7:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. while adults with no kids can pick up food until 1:30 p.m. each day.  To find a location near you click here or text "NYC FOOD" to 877-877. Halal meals are available at these sites.


You can also apply for food assistance benefits and view a map of food pantries and community kitchens here.


The City has created the GetFoodNYC food delivery program to provide food for coronavirus (COVID-19)-vulnerable and food-insecure New Yorkers not currently served through existing food delivery programs. Find out more information here.   


NYers can also use their SNAP benefits to order online. For more info head to: SNAP clients who would otherwise be required to recertify their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)/Food Stamps or Cash Assistance (CA) cases do not need to do so at this time. When recertification resumes, the agency will notify clients and community partners on this process.


NYCHA: NYCHA residents may qualify for a rent reduction based on rent hardship if all the following conditions are met: there is at least a 5% reduction to gross income; current rent is more than 30% of the net household income; reduction in income has lasted at least two months. For more information, go here.


Legal Assistance: The State established a new partnership with the New York State Court System to create a pro bono network of volunteer lawyers to provide New Yorkers in need with free legal assistance. Volunteers will begin to receive training and start offering assistance next week. Lawyers interested in volunteering can sign up at


Additional Help: The City of New York has also developed a list of resources for those who may be unemployed due to COVID-19 or are seeking additional assistance.




If you’re feeling anxious, stressed or, overwhelmed, you can connect with the NYC WELL's confidential helpline: Call 888-692-9355, text "WELL" to 65173 or, chat online at  NYS Mental Health Hotline: 1-844-863-9314 (to schedule a free appointment).


The state is also partnering with Headspace, a global leader in mindfulness and meditation, to offer free meditation and mindfulness content for all New Yorkers as a mental health resource for residents coping with the unprecedented public health crisis. New Yorkers can access a collection of science-backed, evidence-based guided meditations, along with at-home mindful workouts, sleep, and kids content to help address rising stress and anxiety at





My family is now struggling financially due to the loss of a loved one. Is there help available from the federal government?

Yes. If the head of your household died due to COVID-19, your family is eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. You will receive an extra $600 per week on top of the weekly benefits offered by New York state, through the end of July. That amounts to a total of $1,104.  You are eligible for a total of 39 weeks of unemployment, though, after July, the weekly payment will be reduced to $504/ week.


You can apply online or call 1-888-209-8124. 


Are there resources available to help with burial expenses?

Yes,  low-income New Yorkers can receive up to $1,700 to meet funeral expenses for a deceased low-income New York City resident family member or friend.  Learn more about eligibility requirements here or call 718-473-8310.


The application and supporting documents may be submitted by email at or by fax at 917-639-0476 or in person at 33-28 Northern Boulevard, 3rd Floor Long Island City, New York 11101 (though the office is only open on Wednesdays).  A list of supporting documents is available here.


This application must be completed and submitted within 120 days of the date of death of the individual (decedent) for whom a burial allowance grant is requested.


I’m having a hard time getting a death certificate.

If you have questions about the death certificate process or concerns about delays, you can call the Health Department at 347-396-7962, and funeral directors can contact the Burial Desk at 212-788-4545. Questions can also be answered via DOHMH chat or, via email at Death certificates can be ordered online.


Where can I access grief counseling?

It is natural after the loss of a loved one to feel anxious, stressed, or overwhelmed. You can connect with the NYC WELL's confidential helpline by calling 888-692-9355, texting "WELL" to 65173 or chatting online at 


You can also call the New York State's COVID-19 Emotional Support Helpline at 844-863-9314 to talk to specially trained volunteer professionals. They will be there to listen, support, and offer referrals from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week.


Are there any restrictions on funerals or burials during COVID-19?

There are no restrictions or other guidelines on the handling or disposition of remains - your loved one can be cremated, embalmed, or buried according to your family’s preference.  However, families are encouraged to limit the size of funerals and rituals which involve touching the deceased is discouraged. You do need to obtain a death certificate to hold a funeral - you can request an NYC death certificate online or by mailing a copy of the certificate application. For more information, the City has compiled a detailed guide for funerals and burials.


My loved one was overseas when they passed away. How can I bring them home?

When a US citizen dies outside the United States, the deceased person’s next of kin or legal representative should notify US consular officials at the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747. Consular personnel are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to assist US citizens for overseas emergencies. If a family member, domestic partner, or legal representative is in a different country from the deceased person, he or she should call the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services in Washington, DC, from 8 am to 5 pm Eastern time, Monday through Friday, at 888-407-4747 (toll-free) or 202-501-4444. For emergency assistance after working hours or on weekends and holidays, call the Department of State switchboard at 202-647-4000 and ask to speak with the Overseas Citizens Services duty officer. In addition, the US embassy closest to or in the country where the US citizen died can provide assistance.


Can death certificates can still be processed and delivered to funeral homes or families even if final arrangements have not been made?

Yes. Death Certificates are available once the death has been reported and the case has been registered. This means if a decedent is being held in a morgue for longer than usual without a set burial or cremation date, a death certificate can still be ordered.



Many of you are experiencing delays with mail delivery. Unfortunately, this is due to a lack of federal funding for the United States Postal Service (USPS) and other challenges related to COVID-19. To address this, the Congresswoman fully supports the Protect Our Post Offices Act (H.R. 6425), which provides emergency funding for the USPS and prevents further attempts to privatize it. During these uncertain times, it is more important than ever to support USPS and ensure its survival for generations to come.


Below we’ve listed some Frequently Asked Questions about postal delivery during COVID-19. For more, go to 


In some parts of the country does the USPS now have an every other day delivery policy?

No, it is still the USPS policy to maintain current delivery schedules nationwide. However, due to COVID-19 and employee availability, there may be temporary delays to some mail delivery.


My post office has been closed for the past few weeks - when will it reopen and how will I get my mail in the meantime?

To inquire about delays with your specific delivery, find your postal office here and give them a call.



What steps is the USPS taking to clean/sanitize mail?

Current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) guidance continues to indicate there is no evidence the virus is spreading through the mail. According to WHO, the likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low, and the risk of catching the virus from a package that has been moved, traveled, and exposed to different conditions and temperatures is also low. This guidance remains true for mail transport equipment.


How are USPS protecting themselves from COVID19 exposure?

All Postal Service employees are now required to wear cloth face-coverings or masks where they are mandatory in support of local or state face covering directives or orders, like in New York, and in all facilities where social distancing cannot be maintained.

In addition to face coverings and social distancing, Postal employees are advised to follow these CDC recommended prevention methods:

      Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

      Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.

      Stay home when sick.

      Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

      Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

      Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.

      Use a 60-percent or higher alcohol-based hand sanitizer.



The City is connecting older New Yorkers who are feeling isolated with friendly volunteers to talk with over the phone. Call 212-AGING-NYC (212-244-6469).


Grab and go meals are no longer available at senior centers - instead, meal delivery is now available in all five boroughs. Seniors should call their local senior center for more information if they haven’t already received meals. They can also call DFTA's Aging Connect at 212-AGING-NYC (212-244-6469) or 311.


Are you concerned that a family member of yours isn't getting proper care in a nursing home? If so, we encourage you to file a complaint by calling 833-249-8499 or by visiting


Invisible Hands is also helping connect volunteers and individuals in need during this crisis. You can request a volunteer to help deliver groceries and supplies here.




Schools are closed through the end of the academic year. We expect a decision to be announced regarding summer school by the end of May.


In the interim, students should still participate in remote learning every day. For more information, please go here.

NYC Schools is lending digital learning devices to enable all K-12 students to learn at home.  More information here.

There are two recorded webinars from the City’s IT department that review how to use the digital learning device and the google classroom. The links for these webinars are below.

      Webinar 1: Helping Families with the iPad

      Webinar 2: Helping Families with Google Classroom

The DOE is launching a family-facing Remote Learning Technical Support ticket system. Families (or someone on their behalf) can submit requests for technical support for a broad range of issues, including application support, lost, stolen, or broken devices, and delivery status, though the Technical Support for Families page. Note that when you select a topic and issue in the ticket submission form, the form will automatically list common resolutions to technical support problems; if the suggested resolutions do not resolve your issue, you can continue to submit a tech support ticket by completing the form.  This family-facing system, and the DOE staff remote learning support ticket system, is intended to replace emails to the inbox.

Looking for educational resources for your kids while schools are closed? The Smithsonian and the Library of Congress have posted materials online for children of all ages.


The City is also providing a free new digital platform to provide safe, fun, and entertaining virtual activities for New York City’s teens and young adults. This first-of-its-kind campaign combines city and community resources to engage teens who are at home during the COVID-19 crisis, and also provides tips to cope with the public and mental health challenges that may arise during this difficult time. Fun at Home can be accessed at or texting “Fun” to 97743 to receive the latest updates on resources and activities.


Additionally, Let’s Learn NYC!, a new educational public television program produced by the WNET Group in partnership with the New York City Department of Education (DOE) featuring lessons for children in 3K through second grade that can supplement remote learning.




Please visit the City’s website for all the ways NYers can get and offer help with all issues related to COVID-19.  The State has provided a list of other ways everyone can help here.  For donations, please call 1-833-NYC-0040.


The First Responders Fund has been created to assist COVID-19 health care workers and first responders with expenses and costs, including child care. Donations can be made electronically or by check sent to Health Research, Inc., 150 Broadway, Suite 560, Menands,

NY 12204. Please specify the donation is for "COVID-19 NYS Emergency Response."


New Yorkers who have recovered from COVID-19 and had a positive test before March 7th should visit to help save another New Yorker by donating plasma. This plasma will then be transfused into very sick COVID-19 patients in New York hospitals. It may also help the State Health Department understand how many people have already recovered from COVID-19 and how individuals form immunity to the virus.



There is no excuse for racism. There is no ethnic group at an inherently greater risk of contracting or spreading the virus.

If you are the victim of a hate crime or witness what you believe to be a hate crime, please call 911 or visit your nearest police precinct. NYPD officers will not ask about the immigration status of anyone seeking assistance or help to report a crime.

If you experience any discrimination, dial 311 and ask for the Commission on Human Rights. To file a complaint with the state, go here.



The State Department has issued a Level 4 Global Health Advisory. The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for an immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.

If international travel is unavoidable, or travelers are already overseas, you are urged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. You should also take the additional steps outlined here.

Constituents should also avoid non-essential domestic travel and travelers should be prepared for the possibility of travel restrictions with little or no advance notice.





You can call 311 with any questions and assistance will be available to you in many languages.


To get regular updates on the latest developments regarding COVID-19; Text COVIDESP to 692-692 for updates in Spanish.


The City has multilingual flyers with information about how to stop the spread of COVID-19  here. 



The Congresswoman sends out a weekly newsletter with the latest updates on COVID-19. Sign up here for the English version, and here for the Spanish version.

Text COVID to 692-692 to get real-time updates from the City. Sign up here to get real-time email updates from the State.

The New York City Health Department has a Coronavirus webpage here.  The New York State Health Department has a webpage on Coronavirus here.

You can send the state a question online here.


The state also has a 24-Hour Coronavirus hotline: 1-888-364-3065.


If you are experiencing domestic abuse or otherwise in an unsafe living situation, there is help.  The NYC Domestic Violence Hotline is 1-800-621-4673 (HOPE). You can also visit any NYC Family Justice Center to get free and confidential assistance. If you are in an emergency, call 911.

NYC Survivor Resources is providing up-to-date information about resources for those who are being harmed or feel unsafe in the NYC area. NYC Survivor Resources offers counseling, legal support, and additional sources of assistance by county. If you are experiencing an emergency, please dial 911. If you need immediate support over the phone, call the domestic violence hotline by calling 1-(800)-621-HOPE (4673).


During this crisis, New Yorkers with disabilities can reach out on Twitter to @NYCDisabilities, 311 or visit for more information. Deaf New Yorkers can also connect via video phone at 646-396-5830.


Plan ahead for your pets in the event of a medical emergency. See here for more information. Also see here for general information about pets and COVID-19.


If a loved one is missing due to COVID-19, New Yorkers should file a report at People without internet access can file a report by calling 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) from outside New York City.


The CDC and WHO provide regular updates on the virus and safety information for the public and healthcare professionals. You can sign up for the CDC's email updates here. You can sign up for the WHO's email updates here.


The LGBT Center’s Information and Referral Team is continuing to offer virtual front desk services, where they can answer questions relating to food, health insurance, housing, and more. You can reach out to them via phone (212-620-7310) or via online chat Monday - Saturday from 9 A.M. to 10 P.M. and on Sunday from 9 A.M. to 9 P.M.


The LGBT Center is also continuing to provide one-on-one remote mental health counseling sessions, virtual recovery groups, youth support groups, and more. Information on all of the LGBT Center’s virtual programs can be found here.






Como muchos de ustedes ya saben, solamente estadounidenses con números de Seguro Social son elegibles para la asistencia de dinero en efectivo. Hay incertidumbre de cómo el IRS manejará la situación de hogares donde ninguno de los padres tiene número de Seguro Social pero sus hijx(s) si lo tienen. Entendemos que esto dependerá de cómo la Administración implemente la disposición y/o de la orientación proveída por el IRS.

También hay incertidumbre sobre si lxs beneficiarixs de DACA/TPS u otros inmigrantes que tienen autorización de trabajo serán elegibles para solicitar a la Asistencia de Desempleo Pandémico. Entendemos que esto dependerá de la implementación y/o de la orientación del Departamento de Trabajo sobre si se aplicarán los criterios de elegibilidad del estado o si este programa desencadenará restricciones bajo las reglas de los “beneficios públicos federales.”

Todo esto es inaceptable - pero hay algunos recursos federales para los cuales la comunidad indocumentada califica.

Exámenes: La Ley Familias Primero de Respuesta al Coronavirus (Families First Coronavirus Response por su nombre en inglés) declara que los exámenes del coronavirus deben ser gratis, incluyendo a las personas sin seguro de salud o las personas indocumentadas. En Nueva York, la disponibilidad de los exámenes es limitada. Para saber si puede hacer una cita para un examen, llame a la línea directa del estado: 1-888-364-3065. No vaya a una sala de emergencia o a una instalación de auto-servicio sin tener una cita.

Seguro de Salud: La ciudad provee ayuda médica sin importar su estado migratorio o si puede pagar o no. El buscar o usar servicios de salud relacionados con COVID-19 NO afectará su habilidad de solicitar para la residencia o la ciudadanía. El Servicio de Ciudadanía e Inmigración de los E.E.U.U. (USCIS por sus siglas en inglés) ha dicho que el cuidado médico relacionado con COVID-19 – incluyendo servicios de prevención, exámenes, y tratamientos – no será tomado en su contra bajo la prueba de la "carga pública." El Gobierno Federal también ha emitido una directiva temporalmente parando la ejecución de las leyes de inmigración en o cerca de la instalaciones para el cuidado de la salud, incluyendo hospitales, clínicas, urgencias, y oficinas de doctores.

Lxs trabajadorxs del cuidado de la salud tampoco deben preguntar sobre su estado migratorio. Si lo hacen, usted les puede decir que no quiere compartir esta información y que usted tiene el derecho de ser atendidx.

Todxs tienen el derecho a unx intérprete sin ningún costo cuando buscan atención médica. Usted puede pedir servicio de interpretación directamente al personal del cuidado de salud.

Si necesita ayuda encontrando a un doctor u obteniendo ayuda médica, llame al 311.

Salud Mental: COVID-19 es estresante para todxs nosotrxs. Asegúrese de cuidarse mental y físicamente. Si siente ansiedad, estrés, o depresión a causa de lo que está pasando y siente que es difícil funcionar bajo estas condiciones, puede conseguir ayuda en NYC Well. Llame al 1-888-NYC-WELL para hablar GRATIS con unx consejerx entrenadx.  También puede mandar un mensaje a “WELL” al 61573 o charlar en línea al

Reportando Incidentes de Prejuicio y Crímenes de Odio: Si ha sido acosadx o discriminadx a causa de su raza, nacionalidad, edad, o discapacidad, contacte a la Comisión de los Derechos Humanos de la Ciudad de Nueva York llamando al 311 o llenando una queja en línea. Llame al 911 si es víctima o testigo de un crimen de odio.

Condiciones de Trabajo: Bajo la ley federal, todos los trabajadores – incluyendo lxs trabajadorxs indocumentadxs – tienen el derecho a un sitio de trabajo sano y seguro; derecho a la información; derecho de ser entrenadx por su empleador sobre cómo hacer su trabajo de una forma segura; y derecho a reportar condiciones peligrosas de trabajo. Finalmente, la ley federal protege a lxs trabajadorxs en contra de represalias por hacer valer sus derechos. Si siente que su trabajo lo está poniendo en riesgo de contraer COVID-19 o está violando leyes de labor, usted puede llamar a la Oficina de la Procuradora General de la Ciudad de Nueva York al (212) 416-8700

Asistencia Nutricional:  La Ley Familias Primero de Respuesta al Coronavirus adjudicó $1 billón para abordar la inseguridad alimentaria por medio del SNAP, WIC y los bancos de comida. Para conseguir asistencia alimentaria cerca de usted, llame al la Línea Nacional Directa del USDA contra el Hambre 1-877-8-HAMBRE. Lxs inmigrantes indocumentadxs también son elegibles para WIC - un programa para mujeres embarazadas, para menores de 5 años y para sus madres. Puede llamar al 311 y pedir asistencia sobre el WIC o llamar al 844-540-3031.

Asistencia Legal: Lxs inmigrantes y refugiadxs pueden continuar obteniendo asistencia legal gratis y otros servicios por los proveedores de la Oficina para Nuevxs Americanxs del Estado de Nueva York, aún de forma remota. Llame a la línea directa, confidencial y multilingüe, al 1-800-566-7636 para ser conectado con un proveedor.

Aquellxs que viven en la Ciudad de Nueva York que están preocupadxs o tienen preguntas sobre los beneficios públicos y las leyes de inmigración pueden llamar a la línea directa de ActionNYC al 1-800-354-0365, o al 311 y decir “ActionNYC,” de lunes a viernes de las 9 a.m. a las 6 p.m. para obtener ayuda legal GRATIS y SEGURA.

Información adicional: Para más información sobre otros programas del estado para los cuales puede ser elegible, por favor visite el sitio web del estado sobre el Coronavirus aquí. También le puede hacer una pregunta al Estado aquí. O llame a la línea directa del Estado sobre el Coronavirus la cual está abierta las 24 horas: 1-888-364-3065.

Para saber a cuáles programas de la ciudad usted es elegible, llame al 311 o visite el sitio web sobre el Coronavirus de la ciudad aquí.



¿Quiénes califican para la asistencia de dinero en efectivo, bajo la nueva ley federal?

Los adultos estadounidenses con números de Seguro Social recibirán un cheque de $1,200 sí tuvieron un ingreso bruto ajustado de $75,000 o menos en su última declaración de impuestos. Para la mayoría de los estadounidenses, su “ingreso bruto ajustado” (AGI por sus siglas en inglés) es equivalente a su salario anual. Si no ha declarado sus impuestos este año, el gobierno usará su declaración del 2018.

Las parejas casadas sin hijxs ganando $150,000 o menos recibirán $2,400. Individuos o parejas casadas que pertenecen a este grupo de ingresos con hijxs de 16 años de edad o menos, recibirán $500 adicionales por hijx.

Para las familias o individuos que ganan más, el pago disminuye gradualmente - con una reducción de $5 por cada $100 de ingresos arriba de $75,000. En otras palabras, si su ingreso bruto ajustado es de $80,000, su cheque será reducido por $250 – en total el cheque sería aproximadamente de $950.

No recibirá asistencia de dinero en efectivo si es unx individux ganando más de $99,000, o si es una pareja casada sin hijxs ganando $198,000 o más. Una familia con dos hijxs no será elegible para ningún pago si sus ingresos sobrepasan $218,000.


¿Necesito solicitar por el dinero?

No. Si incluiyó su número de cuenta de banco en su declaración de impuestos más reciente, recibirá un depósito directo. Si no ha incluido su número de cuenta de banco para depósito directo, el IRS (por sus siglas en inglés) le mandará un cheque por correo que se puede demorar hasta 20 semanas para ser enviado.

Las personas tienen tres opciones para proveer su información de depósito directo al IRS antes de que su cheque de papel sea enviado por correo. Si usted todavía no ha presentado su declaración de impuestos del 2019, puede hacerlo ahora e incluir su información de cuenta de banco. Si usted no es requeridx a declarar impuestos,  entonces puede presentar una forma de impuestos simples aquí con pocas preguntas, incluyendo su información de cuenta de banco. Si ninguno de estos dos métodos le aplica a usted, este portal les permite a lxs contribuyentes, una vez autenticados, a averiguar el estado de sus pagos de alivio económico, y si no se ha emitido ningún pago o cheque, pueden proporcionar su información bancaria para depósito directo. 


¿Qué sucede si no he declarado mis impuestos pero califico por mis ingresos?

Si usted recibe beneficios del Seguro Social, no tendrá que declarar impuestos para recibir la asistencia de dinero en efectivo. Lxs beneficiarixs recibirán el efectivo por medio del depósito directo o por medio de un cheque enviado por correo, de la misma manera que normalmente reciben sus beneficios.

Para lxs contribuyentes que no necesitan declarar impuestos, o beneficiarixs del Seguro Social que califican para recibir $500 de alivio en efectivo por cada hijx menor de 16 años, deben llenar un formulario simple aquí.


¿Cuándo recibiré el cheque?

Usted puede revisar el estado de su cheque en el sitio web del IRS (por sus siglas en inglés), usando la herramienta “Get My Payment” (Obtener Mi Pago). También pueden usar este portal para registrarse para recibir depósitos directos si no lo han hecho todavía. Los cheques de papel se demorarán hasta 20 semanas para ser enviados, mientras que los depósitos directos ya están siendo mandados. Si encuentra demoras en el sitio web, se le sugiere revisar fuera de las horas pico. Otras preguntas frecuentes sobre “Get My Payment” pueden ser respuestas aquí.

El IRS ha dado el siguiente calendario para los pagos:


  1. El IRS empezó ha hacer pagos a 60 millones de personas por medio de depósito directo la semana del 13 de abril. El IRS obtuvo la información de depósito directo de estxs individuxs de su declaración de impuestos del 2019 o del 2018. Esto incluye a beneficiarios de la Administración del Seguro Social (SSA por sus siglas en inglés) que declararon sus impuestos e incluyeron su información bancaria para depósitos directos.
  2. Diez días después de la primera ronda de pagos, el IRS planea hacer una segunda ronda de pagos. Estos pagos serán para beneficiarios del Seguro Social que reciben sus beneficios por depósito directo pero que no declararon impuestos del 2019 o del 2018.
  3. La  semana del 26 de Abril, el IRS comenzará a enviar cheques de papel por correo. Cinco millones de cheques serán enviados cada semana, lo que significa que se puede tardar hasta 20 semanas para enviar todos los cheques.
  4. Los cheques serán enviados en orden inverso determinado por el “ingreso bruto ajustado” (adjusted gross income” por su nombre en inglés) –comenzando por las personas con menos ingresos.


¿Qué pasa si el pago no llega pronto - qué debo hacer?

De acuerdo con el Acta CARES, usted recibirá un aviso por correo no más tarde que quince (15) días después de que su pago sea desembolsado. Este aviso será enviado a la última dirección que tiene el IRS en sus registros, y contendrá información sobre dónde fue a dar su pago y de qué forma fue hecho. Si no puede localizar el pago después de haber recibido el aviso por correo, necesita contactar al IRS llamando al número  de teléfono en el aviso.

Si he cambiado de dirección desde la última vez que declaré impuestos, ¿cómo hago para actualizar mi información?

La mejor manera de actualizar su dirección es declarando sus impuestos del 2019. Si ya declaró sus impuestos del 2019 y se ha mudado desde entonces a una nueva dirección, debe contactar al IRS,

Tengo más de 16 años, pero un tutor me declaró como dependiente, ¿puedo recibir un pago de estímulo?

No, nadie enlistado como dependiente recibirá un cheque de estímulo.


¿Hay que pagar impuestos sobre el pago de estímulo?

No. No se cobrarán impuestos sobre el pago de estímulo.  El dinero es suyo.

PERO, el pago de estímulo es tratado legalmente como un adelanto en su declaración de impuestos del 2020. Por lo tanto, si el próximo año usted declara sus impuestos del 2020 y su Ingreso Bruto Ajustado sobrepasa el criterio establecido por el Acta de CARES, el IRS pedirá que reembolse alguna o toda la cantidad de su pago directo.


Si estoy jubilado, ¿recibiré un pago de estímulo? Y las personas que reciben beneficios por discapacidad y los veteranos, ¿ellos también recibirán un pago de estímulo?

Sí, siempre y cuando su Ingreso Bruto Ajustado cumpla con los requisitos.



¿Quién califica?

La Asistencia de Desempleo Pandémico (PUA por sus siglas en inglés) incluye a muchos más trabajadores de los que normalmente son elegibles para beneficios de desempleo, incluyendo a trabajadores por cuenta propia y a trabajadores de tiempo parcial (por ejemplo, trabajadores temporales, autónomxs y contratistas independientes). Si usted está desempleadx, está parcialmente desempleadx o no puede trabajar por varias razones relacionadas con el coronavirus, podría ser aprobadx para recibir $600 adicionales cada semana por encima de los beneficios semanales ofrecidos por su estado, hasta el fin de julio. En Nueva York, el monto sería un total de $1,104.

Específicamente, usted califica si no puede trabajar por que: usted o un miembro de su hogar a sido diagnosticado con COVID-19 o tiene síntomas; usted está cuidando a un miembro de su hogar que tiene COVID-19; usted se ha convertido en un apoyo mayor porque la cabeza del hogar ha fallecido por COVID-19; usted es cuidadorx primarix de unx menor que no puede ir a la escuela por COVID-19; usted no puede ir a trabajar por una cuarentena impuesta por COVID-19; su trabajo ha cerrado a causa de COVID-19; o si tuvo que renunciar a su trabajo como resultado directo de COVID-19.

El Acta de CARES expresamente excluye a los siguientes individuos de solicitar para beneficios de desempleo: individuos que tienen la habilidad de teletrabajar con paga; o individuos recibiendo licencia pagada por enfermedad u otra licencia pagada por su empleador.


¿Cómo solicito?

Si ya recibe beneficios de desempleo, no necesita hacer nada. Sus beneficios aumentarán automáticamente. No hay un periodo de espera para solicitar después de que quede desempleadx. 

Si necesita hacer un nuevo reclamo, puede solicitar en línea o llamando al 1-888-209-8124. El Estado ha actualizado recientemente su página de internet para que sea más fácil solicitar. Lxs solicitantes son alentadxs a completar la solicitud en línea. 

El Estado pide que si está sometiendo un nuevo reclamo de Seguro de Desempleo, lo haga basado en la primera letra de su apellido:

      A - F someta su solicitud los lunes

      G - N someta su solicitud los martes

      O - Z someta su solicitud los miércoles

      ¿Se le pasó el día? Someta su solicitud los jueves, viernes o sábados.

Todos los reclamos sometidos serán antedatados al día que se quedó desempleadx. Si es eligible, será pagadx por todos los beneficios que se le deben.*


¿Cuánto tiempo durarán los beneficios de desempleo aumentados?

Si somete un reclamo de desempleo a causa de COVID-19 entre el 27 de enero de 2020 y el 31 de diciembre de 2020, usted es elegible por 39 semanas de desempleo en Nueva York - 13 semanas más de lo normal. Los $600 adicionales solo estarán disponibles hasta el 31 de julio. Después de eso, usted recibirá el pago normal del estado de $504.




La recién promulgada Acta CARES, asigna a la Administración de Pequeños Negocios a distribuir alivio financiero a pequeños negocios por medio de dos programas:  el Programa de Protección de Cheques de Pago (PPP por sus siglas en inglés) y el Préstamo para Agravios Económicos por Desastres (EIDL por sus siglas en inglés). 

El Programa de Protección de Cheques de Pago es un nuevo programa para pequeños negocios con el objetivo de ayudarles a mantener a sus empleadxs. Los préstamos pueden ser de hasta dos meses de sus costos promedios mensuales de la nómina del año pasado más un 25% adicional de esa cantidad. Esa cantidad está sujeta a un límite de $10 millones. Si es un negocio por temporada o un nuevo negocio, diferentes periodos aplicarán para su cálculo. El préstamo puede ser usado para cubrir la compensación de lxs empleadxs; licencia por vacaciones; licencia parental, familiar, médica o por enfermedad; proveer beneficios grupales de cuidado de salud; pagar beneficios de jubilación; impuestos sobre nómina; y pagos de interés en hipotecas, alquileres, servicios, e intereses sobre obligaciones de deuda preexistentes. Si empleadores mantienen las nóminas de pago, los préstamos serán perdonados. Lxs propietarixs únicxs, lxs que trabajan por su propia cuenta y lxs trabajadores temporales también son elegibles. Solicite y aprenda más aquí.

Préstamos para Agravios Económicos por Desastres (EIDL por sus siglas en inglés) es un préstamo de bajo y fijo interés con el objetivo de proveer a pequeños negocios con capital rápido y muy necesario. Los solicitantes elegibles que soliciten al EIDL pueden pedir que hasta $10,000 sean desembolsados inmediatamente. Esta cantidad no necesita ser pagada, sin importar la decisión sobre el préstamo. Los negocios pueden recibir hasta $2 millones en asistencia si su deuda es aprobada. Aprenda más y solicite aquí.

Los que acepten el préstamo del EIDL también pueden solicitar para el Programa de Protección de Cheques de Pago, pero cuando se determine si el préstamo es perdonado, el adelanto de la subvención del EIDL será tomado en consideración. Solicite y aprenda más aquí.

Puede solicitar a ambos préstamos,  pero debe usar el dinero para cubrir gastos diferentes. Además, si recibe la subvención de emergencia del EIDL de $10,000 y después es aprobadx para el préstamo de PPP, al menos $10,000 no serán perdonados de su préstamo del PPP.


Lxs propietarixs únicxs, lxs contratistas independientes o lxs trabajadores temporales son eligibles para ambos, el EIDL y el PPP. El PPP puede cubrir su salario. Pero, los costos de nómina cubiertos están limitados a $ 100,000 en 1 año para lxs propietarixs únicxs, lxs contratistas independientes y lxs trabajadores temporales. Para ser elegible para el PPP, lxs propietarixs únicxs, lxs contratistas independientes y lxs trabajadores temporales, deben proveer información sobre los “pagos de nómina,” incluyendo las declaraciones de impuestos de nómina reportados con el IRS, el Formulario 1099-MISC, e ingresos y desembolsos de lxs propietarixs únicxs.

Puede recibir ayuda para llenar su solicitud de los Socios de la Administración de Pequeños Negocios quienes proveen consejos y entrenamiento para ayudar a pequeños negocios. Centros de Desarrollo para Pequeños Negocios, Centros para Negocios de Mujeres, y Centros de Desarrollo para Negocios Minoritarios cerca de usted se pueden encontrar aquí.

Información adicional sobre los programas de la Administración de Pequeños Negocios están disponibles aqui.





Mi familia tiene dificultades financieras debido a la pérdida de un ser querido. ¿Hay ayuda disponible del gobierno federal?

Sí. Si la cabeza del hogar falleció por COVID-19, su familia es elegible para la Asistencia de Desempleo Pandémico (PUA por sus siglas en inglés). Usted recibirá $600 extra cada semana por encima de los beneficios semanales ofrecidos por el estado de Nueva York hasta fines de julio. Esto equivale a un total de $1,104. Usted es elegible a un total de 39 semanas de desempleo. Pero después the julio, su pago será reducido a $504/semana.


Usted puede solicitar en línea o llamando al 1-888-209-8124. Dado a un alto número de llamadas, el Departamento de Labor del Estado de Nueva York está pidiendo a las personas que quieren solicitar que primero visiten el sitio web si es posible.


Una lista sobre apoyo económico adicional está disponible en nuestro sitio web

¿Hay recursos disponibles para ayudar con los gastos de entierro?

Sí, Neoyorquinos de bajos ingresos pueden recibir hasta $900 para pagar los gastos del funeral de unx residente de bajos ingresos que ha fallecido. Aprenda más sobre la elegibilidad y los requisitos aquí o llame al 718-473-8310.


La solicitud y los documentos necesarios pueden ser enviados por correo electrónico a o por fax al 917-639-0476 o en persona en el 33-28 Northern Boulevard, tercer piso, Long Island City, New York 11101. La  lista de documentos necesarios está disponible aquí.


La solicitud tiene que ser completada y sometida a los 60 días de la fecha de fallecimiento del individux (difuntx) para quien se solicita un subsidio de entierro.


¿Dónde puedo acceder a servicios de apoyo emocional?

Es natural sentirse ansiosx, estresadx, agobiadx después la pérdida de un ser querido. Usted puede conectarse con la línea confidencial de ayuda de NYC WELL al 888-692-9355, mandando WELL al 65173 o charlando en línea en 


También puede llamar a la línea de apoyo emocional de COVID-19 del estado de Nueva York al 844-863-9314 para hablar con voluntarios profesionales. Ellxs están ahí para escuchar, ayudar y ofrecer referirlx desde las 8 a.m. hasta las 10 p.m, siete días a la semana


¿Hay alguna restricción en los funerales o entierros durante COVID-19?

No hay restricciones u otras reglas  sobre el manejo o la disposición de los restos: su ser querido puede ser cremadx, embalsamadx o enterradx de acuerdo con las preferencias de su familia. Pero las familias son alentadas a limitar el tamaño de los funerales y los rituales que involucran tocar el cuerpo del fallecidx son desalentados. Necesita obtener un certificado de defunción para hacer un funeral - puede pedir un certificado de defunción de Nueva York en línea o mandando por correo una copia de la solicitud. Para más información, la ciudad ha creado una guía para funerales y entierros.


Mi ser querido estaba en el extranjero cuando falleció. ¿Cómo puedo traerlo a casa?

Cuando unx ciudadanx  estadounidense fallece afuera de los Estados Unidos,

los familiares o representantes legales de la persona fallecida deben notificar a los oficiales consulares estadounidenses del Departamento de Estado al 1-888-407-4747. El personal del consulado está disponible las 24 horas del día, los 7 días de la semana para asistir a estadounidenses con emergencias en el extranjero. Si un familiar, un compañerx domésticx, o un representante legal está en un país diferente que el fallecido, la persona debe llamar a la Oficina de Servicios a Ciudadanos en el Extranjero (Overseas Citizens Services por su nombre en inglés) del Departamento de Estado en Washington, DC al 888-407-4747 (sin costo) o al 202-501-4444 de 8 a.m. a 5 p.m. hora del este, de lunes a viernes. Para asistencia de emergencia en horas no disponibles, fines de semana, o días festivos, llame al tablero de conmutadores del Departamento de Estado al 202-647-4000 y pregunte por el oficial de turno de la Oficina de Servicios a Ciudadanos en el Extranjero. Además, la embajada de los Estados Unidos más cercana al país o en el país en que el ciudadanx estadounidense falleció puede proveer asistencia.





Si soy unx propietarix únicx, unx trabajadorx temporal o unx contratista independiente, ¿soy elegible para recibir ayuda a través de la Administración de Pequeños Negocios (SBA por sus siglas en inglés)?

Sí. El Congreso creó y extendió programas de SBA como alivio por el COVID-19 - el Préstamo para Agravios Económicos por Desastres (EIDL por sus siglas en inglés) y el Programa de Protección de Cheques de Pago (PPP por sus siglas en inglés). El EIDL es un programa preexistente y lxs propietarixs únicxs o contratistas independientes son elegibles para solicitar en cualquier momento. El PPP es un programa nuevo, el programa se abrió a lxs propietarixs únicxs, lxs trabajadorxs temporales o lxs contratistas independientes a partir del 10 de abril.


¿Qué es el Programa de Protección de Cheques de Pago (PPP)?

Es un nuevo programa, el cual atiende por orden de llegada, para pequeños negocios con el objetivo de ayudarles a mantener a sus empleadxs. Los préstamos pueden ser de hasta dos meses de sus costos promedios mensuales de la nómina del año pasado más un 25% adicional de esa cantidad, con un límite de $10 millones. Si usted es unx propietarix únicx, unx contratista independiente o unx trabajadorx temporal, este préstamo puede cubrir su salario. Pero, los costos de nómina cubiertos están limitados a $ 100,000 en 1 año para lxs propietarixs únicxs, lxs contratistas independientes o lxs trabajadores temporales.


Este préstamo es elegible 100 por ciento para ser perdonado siempre y cuando sea usado para pagar por la nómina; la hipoteca o renta del negocio; o los servicios públicos.


Para ser elegible para el PPP, lxs propietarixs únicxs, lxs contratistas independientes o lxs trabajadores temporales, deben proveer información sobre los “pagos de nómina,” incluyendo las declaraciones de impuestos de nómina reportados con el IRS, el Formulario 1099-MISC, e ingresos y desembolsos de lxs propietarixs únicxs.


Se solicita para el PPP por medio de un banco elegible.  Encuentre un banco elegible cerca de usted y aprenda más aquí.   


¿Qué es el el Préstamo para Agravios Económicos por Desastres (EIDL por sus siglas en inglés)?

El EIDL es un préstamo de bajo y fijo interés con el objetivo de proveer a pequeños negocios con capital rápido y muy necesario. Después de solicitar para un préstamo por medio del EIDL, debe recibir un adelanto de hasta $10,000 que no requiere ser reembolsado si es aprovadx.


Las entidades elegibles pueden recibir hasta $2 millones en un préstamo de EIDL. Pero recuerde, este préstamo es con interés,  y solo los primeros $10,000 no requieren reembolso. El saldo de este préstamo no puede ser perdonado.


Este préstamo puede ser usado para pagar hipotecas, alquileres, u obligaciones que no se pueden cumplir debido a la pérdida de ingresos y la compra de materiales que ahora son más caros debido al COVID-19.


Para solicitar para este préstamo debe ir a la Administración de Pequeños Negocios (Small Business Administration por su nombre en inglés). Solicite y aprenda más aquí.  


Solicité para un préstamo EIDL pero no he recibido respuesta. ¿Cuándo recibiré una respuesta?

Dentro de tres días hábiles después de someter su solicitud para un préstamo EIDL, debe recibir un adelanto de hasta $ 10,000. Si han pasado tres días, llame al 800-659-2955 or mande un mensaje de correo electrónico a


Solicité para un préstamo PPP pero mi banco dijo que no puede procesar mi solicitud.

El PPP no se abrió a propietarixs únicxs, trabajadorxs temporales o contratistas independientes hasta el 10 de abril. Si solicitó antes de esta fecha, intente otra vez.


El programa atiende por orden de llegada. Algunos bancos ya han alcanzado su límite. Puede intentar con otro banco. Puede encontrar una lista de prestamistas elegibles aquí.


El Congreso también está debatiendo actualmente proporcionar más fondos para el PPP, lo que ayudaría con los límites.


¿Puedo solicitar ambos?

Sí, puede obtener los dos préstamos, pero debe usar el dinero para cubrir gastos diferentes. Además, si recibe la subvención de emergencia del EIDL de $10,000 y después es aprobadx para el préstamo de PPP, al menos $10,000 no serán perdonados de su préstamo del PPP.


¿Hay alguien que pueda ayudarme a solicitar para estos programas?

Sí. El Acta CARES también provee opciones de alivio y fondos adicionales para los Socios de la Administración de Pequeños Negocios quienes proveen consejos y entrenamiento para ayudar a pequeños negocios. Centros de Desarrollo para Pequeños Negocios, Centros para Negocios de Mujeres, y Centros de Desarrollo para Negocios Minoritarios cerca de usted se pueden encontrar aquí.


El estado está trabajando rápidamente para incrementar el número de pruebas. Las pruebas son gratis para todxs lxs neoyorquinxs, pero no todxs son elegibles todavía. Actualmente, lxs trabajadores de servicios de primera respuesta, lxs trabajadores del cuidado de salud, y lxs trabajadores esenciales que interactúan con el público son elegibles. Lxs proveedores del cuidado de la salud también pueden autorizar una prueba para las personas que cumplan con uno o más de los siguientes criterios:


      Un individuo que tiene síntomas o un historial de síntomas de COVID-19 (por ejemplo, fiebre, tos, y/o dificultad al respirar), particularmente si la persona tiene más de 70 años, tiene un sistema inmunológico comprometido, o si tiene una condición de salud subyacente: o

      Un individuo que ha tenido contacto directo (a 6 pies) o contacto cercano con alguien que tiene COVID-19; o

      Un individuo que está sujeto a cuarentena preventiva u obligatoria; o

      Un individuo que presenta un caso donde los hechos y las circunstancias - según la determinación del médico en consulta con funcionarios del departamento estatal o local de salud - justifiquen una prueba.


Si tiene preguntas sobre su elegibilidad, si quiere programar una cita o encontrar un sitio de pruebas puede llamar a la línea directa de COVID-19 del Estado de Nueva York al 1-888-364-3065.


Muchxs de ustedes han sufrido demoras con la entrega del correo. Desafortunadamente, esto se debe a la falta de fondos federales para el Servicio Postal de los Estados Unidos (USPS por sus siglas en inglés) y otros problemas relacionados con COVID-19. Para mejorar esto, apoyo el Acta de Protección de Oficinas Postales (H.R. 6425), que proporciona fondos de emergencia para el Servicio Postal y previene más intentos de privatizarlo. Durante estos tiempos de incertidumbre, es más importante que nunca el apoyar al Servicio Postal y asegurar su sobrevivencia para generaciones venideras. 

Aquí compartimos algunas preguntas frecuentes sobre la entrega postal durante COVID-19. Para más información, visite


¿Es verdad que en algunas partes del país el Servicio Postal ahora hace entregas en días alternos?

No, el Servicio Postal todavía mantiene su calendario de entregas por todo el país. Sin embargo, dado al COVID-19 y a la indisponibilidad de lxs trabajadores, puede haber retrasos temporales en algunas entregas de correo.

Mi oficina postal ha estado cerrada por las últimas semanas. ¿Cuándo volverá a abrir y cómo recibiré mi correo hasta entonces?


Para consultar sobre demoras con un entrega específica, encuentre su oficina postal aquí y llámeles.


¿Qué pasos está tomando el Servicio Postal para limpiar y desinfectar el correo?


La orientación proveída por los Centros para el Control y la Prevención de Enfermedades (CDC por sus siglas en inglés) y la Organización Mundial de la Salud (WHO por sus siglas en inglés) indica que no hay evidencia de que el virus se esté esparciendo por medio del correo. De acuerdo con la WHO, la probabilidad de que una persona infectada contamine productos comerciales es baja, y el riesgo de contraer el virus de un paquete que ha sido trasladado y expuesto a diferentes condiciones y temperaturas también es bajo. Esta orientación aplica al equipo de transporte de correo.


¿Cómo se está protegiendo el Servicio Postal de ser expuesto al COVID19?


Todxs lxs empleadxs del Servicio Postal son requeridxs a usar coberturas de tela para la cara o máscaras en lugares donde es mandatorio de acuerdo con las directivas u órdenes locales o estatales, como en Nueva York, y también en todas las instalaciones donde el distanciamiento social no puede ser mantenido.


Además de cubrirse la cara y distanciarse socialmente, se recomienda a los empleados postales que sigan estos métodos de prevención recomendados por la CDC:


      Evitar el contacto cercano con personas que están enfermas.

      Evitar tocarse los ojos, la nariz y la boca si no se ha lavados las manos.

      Quedarse en casa cuando esté enfermx.

      Cubrirse la boca cuando tosa y estornude con pañuelos desechables, y luego tirarlos a la basura.

      Limpiar y desinfectar objetos y superficies que son tocadas frecuentemente.

      Lavarse las manos a menudo con agua y jabón durante al menos 20 segundos.

      Usar un desinfectante de manos con una base de 60% o más de alcohol.


Bajo la ley federal, todos lxs trabajadores - incluyendo aquellxs que están indocumentadxs - tienen el derecho a un lugar de trabajo sano y salvo; el derecho a la información; el derecho a ser entrenadxs por su empleador sobre cómo realizar el trabajo de manera segura; y el derecho a reportar condiciones de trabajo peligrosas. La ley federal también protege a lxs trabajadores en contra de represalias por hacer valer sus derechos. Si usted piensa que su lugar de trabajo lo está poniendo en riesgo de contraer COVID-19 o está violando otras leyes laborales, usted puede llamar a la oficina de la Fiscal General del Estado de Nueva York al (212) 416-8700 o


También puede presentar una queja a través de la oficina del gobernador. Puede presentar una queja por cualquiera de las siguientes razones:


      Está siendo forzadx a trabajar para un negocio no esencial. Puede ver si su lugar de trabajo es esencial aquí.

      Sabe sobre un negocio que no esencial pero que está abierto.

      Está siendo forzadx a trabajar para un negocio esencial, pero:

      Su empleador no le ha pagado el sueldo adecuado por las horas trabajadas, o su licencia por enfermedad o tiempo libre pagado.

      Su empleador lx ha amenazado o despedido por razones relacionadas con COVID-19.

      Usted califica para la licencia por enfermedad con pago de COVID-19 y su empleador se niega a pagarla.

      Su empleador lx esta forzando a trabajar cuando está enfermx.


La guía a continuación es cortesía de los Centros para el Control y la Prevención de Enfermedades (CDC por sus siglas en inglés). Visite aquí para más información, incluyendo cómo hacer una máscara casera.

Side view of an individual wearing a cloth face covering, which conceals their mouth and nose areas and has a string looped behind the visible ear to hold the covering in place. The top of the covering is positioned just below the eyes and the bottom extends down to cover the chin. The visible side of the covering extends to cover approximately half of the individual’s cheek.Frontal view of an individual wearing a cloth face covering. Individual is using two fingers to point to either side of the top of the nose, indicating that the covering fits well in this area.

Las cubiertas de tela para la cara deben:

     ajustarse de manera firme pero cómoda contra los lados de la cara

     asegurarse a las orejas con algún tipo de lazo

     incluir varias capas de tela

     permitir respirar sin restricción

     cubrir su nariz y barbilla

Las máscaras deben ser lavadas después de cada uso. Una lavadora es suficiente para lavar adecuadamente una máscara.

Hay que tener cuidado de no tocarse los ojos, la nariz y la boca al quitarse su cubierta para la cara, y lavarse las manos de inmediato luego de quitársela.


Las cubiertas de tela para la cara no se deben usar en menores de 2 años ni en personas con problemas respiratorios o que estén inconscientes, incapacitadas o no sean capaces de quitárselas sin ayuda.



El miércoles por la tarde, el Presidente Trump firmó una orden ejecutiva parando la entrada a personas que buscan inmigrar permanentemente al país.  La restricción solo aplica a las personas que estuvieron afuera de los Estados Unidos a partir de las 11:59PM del 23 de abril y que no tienen una visa de inmigrante válida.


Hay algunas excepciones. Esta orden ejecutiva no aplica a:


      Médicos, enfermeras y trabajadores de la salud y sus cónyuges e hijxs

      Inmigrantes con visas EB-5

      Cónyuges e hijxs de ciudadanxs estadounidenses

      Futurxs adoptadxs

      Individuos que podrían promover objetivos del cumplimiento de la ley

      Miembros de las Fuerzas Armadas y sus cónyuges e hijxs

      Inmigrantes especiales iraquíes / afganos y sus cónyuges e hijxs

      Individuos cuya entrada es considerada "en el interés nacional"


La orden ejecutiva estará en vigor por 60 días con la posibilidad de ser extendida.





La semana pasada, el IRS creó un herramienta virtual nueva y gratis - Get My Payment (Obtener Mi Pago)- que le permite revisar el estado de su cheque a aquellxs que son elegibles para alivio en efectivo por el Acta CARES. Les alentamos a registrarse para recibir su pago como depósito directo ya que cheques por correo pueden tomar hasta 20 semanas para ser enviados.


Si tiene preguntas sobre quién califica para el alivio en efectivo y sobre la herramienta Get My Payment, visite aquí y lea abajo.

La herramienta Obtener Mi Pago dirá "Estado de pago no disponible" por varias razones, incluyendo:


      Debe presentar una declaración de impuestos

      Usualmente no presenta una declaración

      No es elegible para un pago (vea la elegibilidad).


Si ninguna de estas razones le aplica a usted, habrá nuevas actualizaciones para la herramienta Obtener Mi Pago este lunes, 27 de abril. El IRS recomienda que revise en ese entonces.


¿Qué significa cuando Obtener Mi Pago dice "Necesito más información"?


Usted es elegible para un Pago de Impacto Económico (EIP por su nombre en inglés), pero el IRS no tiene su información de depósito directo para enviar su pago electrónicamente. Debería proporcionar su información bancaria una vez que haya verificado adecuadamente su identidad. Asegúrese de que el número de ruta, el número de cuenta y el tipo de cuenta estén correctos. Puede encontrar esta información en uno de sus cheques, a través de sus aplicaciones bancarias en línea o comunicándose directamente con su institución financiera. El depósito directo es la forma más rápida de obtener su EIP.


Si elige no proporcionar su información bancaria o prefiere recibir su EIP por correo, su pago se enviará a la dirección que el IRS tiene registrada para usted.


¿Qué significa cuando Obtener Mi Pago dice "Intente nuevamente más tarde"?


Su cuenta ha sido bloqueada. Podrá acceder a la aplicación después de que hayan pasado 24 horas. Por favor no contacte al IRS.


La información de mi cuenta bancaria ha cambiado desde que declaré mis impuestos. ¿Puedo actualizarla usando la herramienta?


Sí, en ciertas circunstancias. Obtener Mi Pago no puede actualizar la información de la cuenta bancaria de depósito directo después de que se haya programado la entrega de un pago de impacto económico. Para ayudar a proteger contra posibles fraudes, la herramienta tampoco permite que las personas cambien la información de la cuenta bancaria de depósito directo que ya está archivada con el IRS. Sin embargo, las personas que no utilizaron el depósito directo en su última declaración de impuestos para recibir un reembolso, o si su información de depósito directo estuvo incorrecta y resultó en que su cheque de reembolso fuera mandado por correo, podrán proporcionar esa información y acelerar su pago con un depósito en su cuenta bancaria.



Ya no tengo la cuenta bancaria que usé para el depósito directo en mi declaración de impuestos. ¿Puedo cambiarlo por medio de Obtener Mi Pago?


Si la cuenta bancaria está cerrada, el banco rechazará el depósito y se le emitirá su pago a la dirección que el IRS tenga registrada para usted. Si la herramienta Obtener Mi Pago indica que su pago ha sido procesado, no puede cambiar la información de su cuenta bancaria.



Obtener Mi Pago dice que mi pago de impacto económico se envió a una cuenta que no reconozco. ¿Por qué es eso y cómo obtengo mi pago?


Cuando presentó su declaración de impuestos, es posible que haya recibido una tarjeta de débito prepagada. En algunos casos, su Pago de Impacto Económico puede haberse dirigido a la cuenta bancaria asociada con la tarjeta de débito prepagada.

Si la cuenta asociada está cerrada o ya no está activa, el banco debe rechazar el depósito y devolverlo al IRS. La herramienta "Obtener Mi Pago" se actualizará una vez que se procese el pago devuelto al IRS. El pago será entonces automáticamente enviado por correo a la dirección en su declaración de impuestos del 2019 o 2018, o a la dirección archivada con el Servicio Postal de los Estados Unidos - la dirección que esté más al corriente, y el estatus en Obtener Mi Pago será puesto al día por lo consiguiente.

No. Obtener Mi Pago no le permitirá cambiar su dirección. Para cambiar su dirección:

      Si no ha presentado su declaración de impuestos del 2019, ingrese su nueva dirección en su declaración cuando la presente. El IRS actualizará su registro cuando su reembolso sea procesado. Haga su declaración electrónicamente para garantizar que sea procesada más rápidamente. 

      Si presentó su declaración de impuestos del 2019 y no recibió un reembolso por medio de depósito directo, su pago será enviado por correo a la dirección que el IRS tiene registrada para usted. En general, esta es la dirección en su declaración más reciente o actualizada a través del Servicio Postal de los Estados Unidos (USPS por sus siglas en inglés).




El IRS publicó esta semana las siguientes orientaciones para individuos que recibieron un cheque de alivio por error.


¿Alguien que falleció califica para el cheque de alivio?

Un Pago hecho a una persona que falleció antes de recibir el Pago debe ser regresado siguiendo las instrucciones de reembolso en la parte inferior. Regrese el Pago entero a menos de que el Pago se haya hecho a declarantes conjuntos y uno de los cónyuges no ha fallecido antes de recibir el Pago. En este caso, sólo necesita devolver la porción del Pago hecha para la persona que falleció - este monto será de $1,200 a menos que el ingreso bruto ajustado exceda los $150,000.


¿Alguien que es indocumentado califica para el cheque de alivio?

Una persona que es considerada “extranjerx sin residencia” (“non-resident alien por su nombre en inglés) en el 2020 no es eligible para el Pago. La definición del gobierno de “extranjerxs sin residencia” se encuentra aquí. Por lo general, sólo Estadounidenses adultos con números de seguro social son elegibles para asistencia en efectivo. Esto incluye aquellxs que tienen tarjeta de residencia, visas H-1B y beneficiarios de DACA y TPS.


¿Alguien que está encarceladx califica para el cheque de alivio?

Un Pago hecho a alguien que está encarceladx debe ser regresado al IRS siguiendo las instrucciones de reembolso en la parte inferior.  Para Pagos hechos a declarantes conjuntos donde sólo uno de los cónyuges está encarceladx, sólo necesita devolver la porción del Pago hecha para la persona encarcelada - este monto será de $1,200 a menos de que el ingreso bruto ajustado exceda los $150,000.


¿Cómo debo regresar un Pago de Impacto Económico (EIP por sus siglas en inglés)?

Si el Pago fue hecho por medio de un cheque en papel:

  1. Escriba “Void” (“nulo”) en la sección de “endorsement” (“endoso”) en la parte trasera del cheque.
  2. Envie el cheque nulo immediatamente a: Brookhaven Refund, Inquiry Unit, 5000 Corporate Ct., Mail Stop 547, Hotsville, NY 11742.
  3. No engrape, doble, ni ponga un clip de papel en el cheque.
  4. Incluya una nota indicando el motivo por la devolución del cheque.

Si el Pago fue hecho por medio de un cheque en papel y lo ha cobrado, o si el Pago fue hecho por medio de un depósito directo:

  1. Envíe un cheque personal, giro postal (“money order” por su nombre en inglés), etc., inmediatamente a: Brookhaven Refund, Inquiry Unit, 5000 Corporate Ct., Mail Stop 547, Holtsville, NY 11742.
  2. Escriba el cheque/giro postal a nombre del “U.S. Treasury” y escriba 2020EIP y el número de identificación del contribuyente (número de seguro social o número de identificación del contribuyente individual) de la persona a la cual fue enviada el cheque.
  3. Incluya una breve explicación indicando el motivo por la devolución del cheque.



A causa del COVID-19, lxs neoyorquinxs recibirán una solicitud por correo postal para obtener una papeleta de voto en ausencia para las elecciones del 23 de junio. Pero no necesita esperar. Puede descargar la solicitud en inglés y en español ahora. En el formulario, debe marcar "enfermedad temporal o discapacidad física" como razón por la cual solicita una papeleta de voto en ausencia.

Cuando su solicitud esté completa, puede mandarla por correo electrónico a Si prefiere enviar su solicitud por correo postal, debe enviarla a la Junta de Elecciones de su condado. En Queens la dirección es: Queens County Board of Elections, 118-35 Queens Boulevard, Forest Hills, NY 11375. En el Bronx la dirección es: Bronx County Board of Elections, 1780 Grand Concourse-5th Floor, Bronx, NY 10457.

Debe enviar su papeleta de voto en ausencia a más tardar para el 16 de junio.

Una vez que la Junta Electoral del Condado haya recibido su solicitud y la haya aprobado, le enviarán su papeleta de voto en ausencia.

Debe completar y enviar su papeleta de voto en ausencia para el Día de las Elecciones, el 23 de junio.

Si aún no se ha registrado para votar, puede hacerlo para el 29 de mayo. Puede hacerlo en línea aquí.



La siguiente información es cortesía del Departamento de Salud de la ciudad de Nueva York.

¿Qué es el Síndrome Inflamatorio Multisistémico Pediátrico?

El Síndrome Inflamatorio Multisistémico Pediátrico (PMIS por sus siglas en inglés) es una nueva condición de salud que está apareciendo en niñxs en la ciudad de Nueva York y en otras partes. Algunxs doctorxs piensan que está conectado con tener el coronavirus (COVID-19), pero todavía no está claro.

PMIS es como otras condiciones inflamatorias graves, como la enfermedad de Kawasaki y el síndrome de shock tóxico. Lxs niñxs con PMIS pueden tener problemas con el corazón y otros órganos y necesitan quedarse en un hospital para recibir cuidado de salud intensivo.

PMIS es una condición rara. Sin embargo, debido a que pone en peligro la vida, es importante que los padres conozcan los signos y síntomas, para que puedan obtener ayuda inmediata.

¿Cuáles son los sintomas de PMIS?

La mayoría de lxs niñxs tienen fiebre (temperatura de 100.4 grados F o 38.0 grados C o más) que dura varios días, junto con otros síntomas.

Síntomas comunes incluyen:

      Irritabilidad o lentitud

      Dolor abdominal sin otra explicación




      Conjuntivitis, ojos rosados o rojos

¿Cuándo debo llamar al médico de mi hijx u obtener atención de emergencia?
Debe llamar a su médico de inmediato si su hijx se enferma e infórmele sobre cualquier signo o síntoma que tenga su hijx. Su médico usará esa información para recomendar los próximos pasos. Si su hijx está gravemente enfermx, debe ir a la sala de emergencias más cercana o llamar al 911 de inmediato.

¿Es contagioso el PMIS?
PMIS no es contagioso. Sin embargo, es posible que su hijx tenga COVID-19 u otra infección subyacente que pueda ser contagiosa. Hasta que sepamos más, los hospitales en Nueva York que están tratando a niñxs con PMIS están tomando las mismas precauciones que toman para los pacientes con COVID-19.

¿Existe un tratamiento para el PMIS?

Actualmente, lxs niñxs con PMIS están siendo tratados con diferentes terapias, incluyendo inmunoglobulina intravenosa y esteroides. Estos medicamentos ayudan a reducir la respuesta inmune del cuerpo que causa el síndrome inflamatorio. Lxs niñxs también reciben otros medicamentos para proteger su corazón, riñones y otros órganos.

¿Cómo puedo evitar que mi hijx contraiga PMIS?
Aunque todavía no sabemos si el PMIS está relacionado con COVID-19, es importante tomar medidas para evitar que su hijx esté expuesto al COVID-19. Las coberturas faciales, la higiene de las manos y el distanciamiento físico son la mejor manera de prevenir el COVID-19.



A continuación hay algunos escenarios comunes que pueden explicar por qué recibió un monto de pago diferente al esperado. Esta información es proporcionada por el IRS.

No ha presentado una declaración de impuestos del 2019, o el IRS no ha terminado de procesar su declaración de impuestos del 2019

Los pagos son automáticos para las personas elegibles que presentaron una declaración de impuestos para el 2018 o el 2019. Por lo general, el IRS utiliza la información de la declaración de impuestos del 2019 para calcular el Pago de Impacto Económico.

El IRS usará la declaración del 2018 si el contribuyente aún no ha presentado la declaración del 2019. Si un contribuyente ya ha presentado la declaración del 2019, la agencia seguirá usando la declaración del 2018 si el IRS no ha terminado de procesar la declaración de 2019. Recuerde, que el hecho de que el IRS acepte una declaración de impuestos electrónicamente no es lo mismo de que la declaración haya sido procesada; cualquier problema con la declaración del 2019 significa que el IRS utilizará la del 2018 para el cálculo.

Si el IRS usa la declaración del 2018, varios cambios en su vida en el 2019 no se reflejarán en el pago. Estos pueden incluir mayores o menores ingresos o nacimientos o adopciones de niñxs.

En muchos casos, estxs contribuyentes podrán reclamar un monto adicional en la declaración de impuestos del 2020 que presenten el próximo año. Esto podría incluir hasta $500 adicionales por cada hijx calificado que no se refleje en su Pago de Impacto Económico.

Los dependientes reclamados no son elegibles para un pago adicional de $500

Solo los niñxs elegibles para el Crédito Tributario por Hijxs (Child Tax Credit por su nombre en inglés) califican para el pago adicional de hasta $500 por niñx. Para reclamar el Crédito Tributario por Hijxs, el niñx generalmente tiene que estar emparentado con el contribuyente, vivir con xl más de la mitad del año y proporcionar al menos la mitad de su manutención. Además de sus propios hijxs, hijxs adoptadxs, niñxs en acogida, los hijxs elegibles pueden incluir los hermanxs menores, nietxs, y sobrinxs del contribuyente si pueden ser reclamados como dependientes. Además, cualquier niñx calificado debe ser ciudadanx estadounidense, residentx permanente u otro extranjerx residentx calificado. Xl niñx también debe haber tenido menos de 17 años en el último día del año de la declaración de impuestos en la que el IRS basa la determinación de pago.

Un niñx calificado debe tener un número de Seguro Social (SSN) válido o un Número de Identificación de Contribuyente Adoptivo (ATIN, por sus siglas en inglés). Unx niñx con un Número de Identificación de Contribuyente Individual (ITIN, por sus siglas en inglés) no es elegible para un pago adicional.

Los padres que no están casados entre sí y no presentan una declaración conjunta no pueden ambos reclamar a su hijx calificadx como dependiente. Xl padre que reclamó al hijx en su declaración del 2019 puede haber recibido un pago de impacto económico adicional para su hijx calificadx. Cuando xl padre que no recibió un pago adicional presente su declaración de impuestos del 2020 el próximo año, podría reclamar un monto adicional de hasta $500 por niñx en esa declaración si califica para reclamar al niñx como su hijx calificadx para el 2020.


Los dependientes son estudiantes universitarios

Conforme a la Ley CARES, lxs estudiantes universitarios dependientes no califican para el pago de impacto económico (EIP, por sus siglas en inglés), y aunque sus padres pueden reclamarlos como dependientes, normalmente no califican para el pago adicional de $500. Por ejemplo, bajo la ley, unx estudiante universitario a tiempo completo con 20 años reclamado como dependiente en la declaración de impuestos federales de su madre del 2019, no es elegible para un pago de impacto económico de $1,200. Además, la madre del estudiante no recibirá un pago adicional de impacto económico de $500 por el estudiante porque no califica como unx niñx menor de 17 años. Este escenario también podría aplicarse si la declaración de impuestos del 2019 de un padre aún no ha sido procesada por el IRS antes de que se calcularan los pagos, y unx estudiante universitario fue reclamado en una declaración de impuestos del 2018.

Sin embargo, si xl estudiante no puede ser reclamadx como dependiente por su madre o cualquier otra persona para el año 2020, ese estudiante puede ser elegible para reclamar un crédito de $1,200 en su declaración de impuestos del 2020 el próximo año.

Dependientes reclamados son padres o parientes, mayores de 17 años

Si unx dependiente tiene 17 años o más, no califica para el pago adicional de $500. Si unx contribuyente reclamó a un padre o a cualquier otro pariente de 17 años o más en su declaración de impuestos, ese dependiente no recibirá un pago de $1,200. Además, el contribuyente no recibirá el pago adicional de $500 porque el padre u otro pariente no es unx niñx menor de 17 años que califique.

Sin embargo, si el padre u otro pariente no puede ser reclamado como dependiente en la declaración del contribuyente o de cualquier otra persona para el 2020, el padre o pariente puede ser elegible para reclamar individualmente un crédito de $1,200 en su declaración de impuestos del 2020 presentada el próximo año.


Manutención infantil atrasada fue deducida del pago

Lo único que puede ser deducido del pago de impacto económico es la manutención infantil atrasada. La Oficina del Servicio Fiscal le enviará al contribuyente un aviso si ocurre una deducción.

Para lxs contribuyentes que están casadxs declarando conjuntamente y presentaron una reclamación de cónyuge lesionadx con su declaración de impuestos del 2019 (o declaración de impuestos del 2018 si no han presentado su declaración de impuestos del 2019), la mitad del pago total se enviará a cada cónyuge. Sólo el pago del cónyuge que adeuda una manutención infantil debería ser reducida como compensación.

El IRS está consciente de que, en algunos casos, una parte del pago enviado a un cónyuge que presentó un reclamo de cónyuge lesionadx con su declaración de impuestos del 2019 (o declaración de impuestos del 2018 si no ha presentado su declaración de impuestos del 2019) podría haber sido reducida a causa de la pensión alimenticia adeudada por el cónyuge lesionadx. El IRS está trabajando con la Oficina de Servicios Fiscales y la Oficina de Cumplimiento de Manutención Infantil del Departamento de Salud y Servicios Humanos de los EE. UU. para resolver este problema lo más rápido posible. Si usted presentó un reclamo de cónyuge lesionadx con su declaración y se ve afectadx por este problema, no necesita tomar ninguna medida. Xl cónyuge lesionadx recibirá su mitad no pagada del pago total cuando se resuelva el problema.

Embargos crediticios redujeron el importe del pago

Los reembolsos de impuestos federales, incluyendo el pago de impacto económico, no están protegidos de embargos crediticios por la ley federal una vez que los pagos se depositan en la cuenta bancaria de unx contribuyente.

¿Qué sucede si el monto de mi pago de impacto económico es incorrecto?

Todxs deben revisar los requisitos de elegibilidad para su familia para asegurarse de que cumplan con los criterios.

En muchos casos, lxs contribuyentes elegibles que recibieron un pago de impacto económico menor de lo esperado podrían calificar para recibir una cantidad adicional a principios del próximo año cuando presenten su declaración de impuestos federales del 2020. Todxs deben conservar en sus archivos la carta que reciban por correo postal unas semanas después de que se emita su pago.

Cuando lxs contribuyentes presenten su declaración el próximo año, pueden reclamar créditos adicionales en su declaración de impuestos del 2020 si son elegibles para ellos. El IRS proporcionará más detalles en acerca de cualquier acción que deban tomar.

El pago de impacto económico no reducirá el reembolso de unx contribuyente ni aumentará la cantidad que debe cuando presente su declaración de impuestos a principios del próximo año. El pago tampoco está sujeto a impuestos y, por lo tanto, no debe incluirse en los ingresos de la declaración del 2020.



El Servicio de Impuestos Internos (IRS por sus siglas en inglés) proporciona las siguientes preguntas y respuestas para aclarar las implicaciones fiscales de los problemas financieros que enfrentan lxs trabajadores que han perdido sus empleos.

¿La indemnización por despido está sujeta a impuestos?

Sí, la indemnización por despido está sujeta a impuestos en el año que la recibe. Su empleador incluirá esta cantidad en su Forma W-2 y retendrá los impuestos federales y estatales apropiados.

¿La licencia acumulada (vacaciones y/o pago por enfermedad) está sujeta a impuestos?

Sí, el pago anual de vacaciones y/o el pago por enfermedad son calculados como salarios por su empleador y se incluirán en su Formulario W-2.

¿El seguro de desempleo es sujeto a impuestos?

Sí, sus beneficios estatales de seguro de desempleo (hasta 26 semanas) y sus beneficios extendidos están sujetos a impuestos. Puede optar por retener el 10% para cubrir los impuestos federales completando el Formulario W-4V. El Estado le proporcionará un Formulario 1099-G en papel o lo hará disponible electrónicamente antes del 31 de enero de cada año, mostrando la cantidad de beneficios pagados el año anterior.

Si soy elegible para asistencia pública o cupones de alimentos, ¿están sujetos a impuestos?


¿Cuándo recibiré el formulario W-2 final de mi empleador?

Su empleador debe proporcionarle su Formulario W-2 antes del 31 de enero después del cierre del año calendario. Por ejemplo, los Formularios W-2 del 2020 se deben entregar a los empleados antes del 31 de enero del 2021.

¿Qué sucede si mi empleador se declaró en bancarrota o cerró su negocio? ¿Cómo obtengo mi Formulario W-2?

En ambos casos, el empleador debe declarar y reportar su salario y retención en un Formulario W-2 al final del año. Si no recibe su Formulario W-2, intente comunicarse con su empleador o su representante. Si no tiene éxito, el IRS puede ayudarle a presentar un Formulario W-2 sustituto utilizando los documentos que usted tenga en sus archivos. Una buena precaución es mantener los documentos del año o talones de pago hasta que reciba su Formulario W-2.

¿Puedo presentar una declaración de impuestos con anticipación y recibir un reembolso?

No. Las declaraciones de impuestos individuales se basan en el año calendario y no se pueden presentar antes de enero del próximo año calendario. Por ley, el Servicio de Impuestos Internos no puede emitir reembolsos reclamando el Crédito Tributario por Ingreso del Trabajo (EITC por sus siglas en inglés) o el Crédito Tributario Adicional por Hijx (ACTC por sus siglas en inglés) antes de mediados de febrero. Esto aplica al reembolso completo, incluso a la parte no asociada con el EITC o el ACTC.

Si vendo otros bienes como acciones, bonos y propiedades de inversión, ¿están sujetos a impuestos de inmediato?

No necesariamente, pero se debe declarar la venta de dichos activos. Si tiene una ganancia en la venta, puede generar una obligación de impuesto. Debe revisar su situación fiscal general y asegurarse de haber pagado sus impuestos según sea necesario para evitar cualquier sanción fiscal estimada.

¿Qué puedo hacer si debo impuestos y no puedo pagarlos?

Póngase en contacto con el Servicio de Impuestos Internos (IRS) lo antes posible para solicitar un plan de pago. La comunicación es la clave para minimizar los problemas.

Las opciones de pago incluyen un plan de pago a corto plazo (pagando en 120 días o menos) o un plan de pago a largo plazo (acuerdo de pago de más de 120 días). Puede calificar para solicitar en línea a una de estas opciones de pago.

¿Hay asistencia especial disponible en asuntos fiscales no resueltos que crean adversidad?

Sí, si está sufriendo un daño económico, un problema sistémico o está buscando ayuda para resolver problemas fiscales que no se han resuelto a través de los canales normales, puede ser elegible para recibir asistencia de los Servicios del Defensor del Contribuyente (TAS por sus siglas en inglés).

¿Qué sucede si retiro dinero de mi plan de jubilación calificado o Cuenta de Jubilación Individual (IRA por sus siglas en inglés)?

Por lo general, si retira los fondos antes de alcanzar la edad elegible y no los transfiere a otro plan de jubilación calificado o Cuenta de Jubilación Individual (IRA) dentro de 60 días, esa cantidad será un ingreso imponible en el año en que se retira. También es posible que deba pagar un impuesto adicional del 10% sobre esas distribuciones anticipadas.

¿Existen excepciones por "adversidad" a las penalizaciones por distribución anticipada?

Sí, hay dos excepciones específicamente relacionadas con la pérdida del empleo. El impuesto adicional del 10% no se aplica a las distribuciones de un plan de jubilación calificado si usted tenía 55 años o más (50 años o más para empleadxs calificadxs de seguridad pública) en el año que ocurrió la separación. Además, no tiene que pagar el impuesto adicional sobre distribuciones de un IRA hechas durante el año si no son más que la cantidad que pagó durante el año para cubrir el seguro médico para usted, su cónyuge y sus dependientes. Para calificar, debe haber:

  1. perdido su trabajo,
  2. recibido compensación por desempleo bajo cualquier ley federal o estatal por 12 semanas consecutivas a causa de la pérdida de su trabajo,
  3. recibido las distribuciones durante el año en que recibió la compensación por desempleo o el siguiente año y
  4. recibido las distribuciones no más de 60 días después de que haya vuelto a trabajar.

¿Puedo transferir dinero de mi plan de jubilación calificado a otro plan de jubilación calificado o IRA?

Sí, esto se llama un "IRA rollover". Puede elegir que cualquier parte o la totalidad de la distribución de un rollover elegible sea pagada directamente a otro plan de jubilación calificado que acepte distribuciones de rollover o a una cuenta IRA tradicional o cuenta IRA Roth.

Si elige la opción directa de rollover, o tiene un rollover automático, no se retendrá ningún impuesto de ninguna parte de la distribución que sea pagada directamente al administrador del otro plan. Si cualquier parte de la distribución del rollover elegible le es pagada a usted, el pagador generalmente debe retener el 20% para cubrir el impuesto por ingreso.

En ese caso, aunque usted solo recibe el 80%, se considera como si el monto total se le hubiera distribuido a usted. Por lo general, debe incluir en sus ingresos cualquier parte (incluyendo la parte retenida) que no transfiera dentro de los 60 días a otro plan de jubilación calificado o a una cuenta IRA tradicional o cuenta Roth.

Si hice una contribución IRA durante el año fiscal actual, ¿puedo retirarla antes de que finalice el año?

Sí. Las contribuciones devueltas antes de la fecha de vencimiento de la devolución pueden retirarse sin penalización. Debe tomar la contribución y cualquier interés o dividendo que haya ganado. Este es libre de impuestos si:

  1. no toma una deducción por la contribución y
  2. retira cualquier ingreso o interés realizado por la inversión mientras estaba en el IRA e incluye esa cantidad en sus ingresos.

Si tomo mi pensión y la transfiero a un IRA, ¿existen reglas o restricciones especiales?

El hacer un rollover de la distribución de pensiones a una institución financiera (por ejemplo, un banco, una cooperativa de crédito, una casa de bolsa, etc.) es sencillo. Las transacciones prohibidas con un IRA incluyen:

  1. garantizar un préstamo,
  2. venderle propiedades,
  3. usarla como seguridad para obtener un préstamo, o
  4. comprar propiedades de uso personal (presente o futuro) con fondos del IRA.

Por lo general, hay un impuesto del 15% sobre el monto de la transacción prohibida y un impuesto adicional del 100% si la transacción no es corregida.